Reading has been proven to enrich and improve the mind, but sometimes even that isn't enough to make you pick up a book. However, here are the top five reasons why I read and think maybe you should too!
- Books expose us to new worlds, new cultures and even new universes. Through books we learn to be open to new things and new people that we may not normally be open to.
- Books teach us we are not alone in the world. There is a book out there for you, regardless of your economic level, your upbringing or your personal issues. When you find a book that touches you because you know personally what the main character is going through, you discover that although your experience is yours alone, you are not alone in it. What a powerful feeling it is to know someone has come before you and survived whatever it is you're struggling to get through.
- Books bring us together. A book can introduce you to a new world and teach you are not alone, but it can also be the key to a new friend. It doesn't matter if you're shy or if you're social, with a book you can find common ground and grow.
- Books show us who we are and who we could be. Books can expose the worst in us or celebrate the best. They can show us a Dystopian future we'd never want to live in or a Utopian world we have only imagined in our dreams.
- Books liberate us from the chains of society. We all know who we should be or who our parents, teachers and society expect us to be. However, there are tons of books in the world that celebrate the nerds, the weirdos, the off-kilter types and the outcasts. Books educate us and enable us to know more, and the more we know the more we are free.
There are so many reasons to read, but these are the ones I find motivate me the most. What are some of the reasons you choose to read? What are some of your favorite books and why?